The Periodontally-Oriented Restorative
The manner in which we conduct our practices
has changed considerably over the
years. The general dentist is responsible for the total health
of the patient’s
mouth, both periodontally as well as restoratively. Your dental
practice should include periodontal
treatment (scaling and root planing
with local anesthesia) multiple times a day in addition to maintenance
and restorative dentistry.
Your dental hygienist can be responsible
for the periodontal portion of your practice. Ultimately, you
will have healthier, happier patients,
and a happier more fulfilled staff.
Diagnosis, Scaling, and Root
- The new patient visit: Doctor consultation, or hygienist
cleaning and exam?
- Appropriate radiographs: FMX, Panoramic,
- Periodontal assessment: diagnosis and explanation
for patient acceptance.
- The relationship between periodontal disease
and serious health problems: Diabetes, Heart
Disease, Stroke, Ulcers, Pre-Term Births.
- Incorporating scaling and root planing into
your practice, including CDT-4 codes.
- Creation of a comfortable, great relationship
with your periodontist.
Reevaluation, Local Chemotherapeutics
This is a continuation of the AM session, but you may attend the PM session only,
as it is a different course.
- Periodontal re-evaluation… the lost art of dentistry.
- Periodontal surgical procedures: an overview.
- Treatment decisions: save the tooth or extract
and place implant?
- Local chemotherapeutic agents:
Actisite fibers; Perio Chip; Atridox gel;
microspheres; Periostat Pills.
Do these work? Will
take the place of "conventional" treatment?
Full-day course, or two half-day courses recommended for dentists,
hygienists and assistants.
Dr. Marty Nager is a board certified
periodontist with a private practice
in Warwick and Narragansett, Rhode
He is a former assistant clinical
professor at Boston University School
of Dental Medicine
and instructor at the University
of Rhode Island School of Dental Hygiene.
a member of the Pierre Fauchard Academy,
and is a fellow in the International
College of Dentistry. He is a past
the Rhode Island Dental Association.
©2006 Dr. Marty Nager. All rights reserved.